Here are some frequently asked questions.
What does a supply teacher do?
A supply teacher covers lessons for absent teachers, taking class registers and carrying out lesson plans and school duties. You may also be expected to complete any necessary marking.
What qualifications will I need to be a supply teacher?
To be a supply teacher, you will need a recognised teaching qualification such as PGCE, Bed, BA/ BSc with QTS (Qualified Teacher Status), QTLS (Qualified Teacher Learning and Skills), SCITT with QTS or an equivalent overseas qualification in line with NARIC. You will also need to be registered with the GTC (General Teaching Council). Alternatively, you could apply for work as a cover supervisor or teaching assistant.
What checks/ documents will I need to have to do supply work?
You will need:
- Enhanced DBS
- 2 references
- proof of ID
- Entitlement to work checks
- Medical check confirmation
What is A DBS?
- The DBS certificate refers to the government Disclosure and Barring Service background checks which must be completed by anyone wishing to work with children or vulnerable adults.
- Visit https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/dbs-application-forms-guide-for-applicants to find full info on applying for DBS.
I am an overseas teacher; what requirements do I need to begin supply teaching in the UK?
If you are coming from overseas, you will need to have a visa/ work permit that allows you to work in the UK. If you are an overseas trained teacher from outside the European Economic Area, you can teach in the UK for up to four years without needing to gain QTS.
How Flexible is Supply Teaching?
Supply teaching is incredibly flexible. With Realise Education, you choose when and where you are willing to work and we find suitable opportunities catered to your needs. Furthermore, using RealiseMe, our partner platform, offers you even greater control over your supply work direct with schools.
What kind of work can I expect?
- With supply work, you are able to access a variety of schools, so that no two days are the same. You will encounter a wide range of schools, classes, pupils, subjects, etc.
- Supply work can also vary in terms of day-to-day short term or longer-term positions, all depending on your preference for work.
- Supply teaching is also a really great way to work with a school before accepting a permanent contract.
We’re partnered with RealiseMe, a new platform that makes connecting schools with supply staff simple and faster than ever. Try out RealiseMe for a new, user-friendly supply experience with a simple booking system that puts you in control of your supply work, either on our site or on your phone.
Register with Realise Education and make the next step in your education career with the help of our professional and supportive team. Sign up with us today and realise your potential. We need just a few details from you via our on-boarding platform and a member of our experienced team will be in touch or email [email protected] for an informal chat.
Request Call Back
Huckletree, 18 Finsbury Square, London
Mercury House, Wikkoughton Drive, Foxby Lane Business Park, Gainsborough